Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Coffee Conversation

I was sitting at my usual place, the comfy couch in my favorite Starbucks. I can't be certain exactly why I am so fond of this place. I guess, it's right below my office, slightly hidden from the flock of students and passerby's. It has nice cushions, free WiFi and the coffee isn't too bad. And most importantly I get to be around people, albeit I don't talk or interact with them.

Truth be told, I am all alone in this city of 13 million people. No friends, no family, no housemates or pets. I hate the emptiness and silence in my life. And that's why I spend most of my weekends in coffee shops. I rarely see anyone interesting that catches my eye, and I had given up all hope just when she walked in.

Her eyes were hidden behind those round glasses, her long hair neatly tied behind her head. She must be 5 6ish but even with her flats, she looked taller due to her posture and slender frame. There was something interesting about her.

I admit I am shy when it comes to women. It takes a few conversations for me to get comfortable. And the more attractive they are, the more awkward I get.

She walked towards me and said "Excuse me. Can I leave my bag here?" She rested her bag on the side table and sat down on the vacant couch right opposite me. Now here is the thing. When you have a really attractive woman sitting right in front of you, you are torn between gazing haphazardly at her or to sneak a glance in the most discreet way. You first look at person at her left, then to her right, and then slowly and finally gaze right at the center, to where she sits.

Now don't you judge me. All guys do that. I am no different.
She seemed to be reading a book on Google, and taking down notes. And she was left handed.

"So, you are reading the Google Way. It's quite an interesting interpretation of Google's management style. But I disagree with a lot of it. I think the author is glorifying Larry and Sergey".

She looked at me with surprise. "You don't think they are changing the world?"
"I didn't say that. I feel they have found a balance between running a profitable Business while investing in projects that could change lives. The book is too biased and focuses only on the good side. Without the revenue and profits, there will be none of the great projects"
"By the way, I am Ajay. And you are?
"Hi, I am Yuki, nice meeting you. I have an interview with Google tomorrow. So reading up before the big day"
"That's pretty cool. All the best. Did you know only just 1 in 1000 applicants even get called for an interview. You must be really smart".
"Well, not really. I guess I am just lucky"
"Luck has nothing to do with. So what kind of job is it"
"It's quite interesting. They are looking for an marketing manager to own the university and school outreach program"
"That's pretty neat. I hope you are familiar with all the popular Google products. Bet they'll ask you about your favorite app".
"For me, I can't think of a life without YouTube. Haha, I am super hooked on to it".

Just then my phone alarm went off. The gym was closing in an hour. Should we stay or leave. What's more important in life. This conversation with this lovely girl or the boring, painful session of the gym.

"You have to excuse me Yuki. I have to head to the gym before it closes in an hour. It was really nice talking to you"
I was telling myself "Ask her for her number... Or at least her line contact...c'mon boy"

"So I'll see you again then. All the best with the interview", and I rushed out. What a bummer. I couldn't even ask her number. What's wrong with me.

The next day, I was pretty darn bored at work. It was 12pm, and nothing interesting was happening. It was Monday!
I was walking towards the office cafe to grab some food to eat at my desk.

And wonder oh wonders, there she stood at the elevator lobby, waiting for the lift to arrive. I sprinted quickly towards her.

"Yuki, Yuki!"
"Hey Ajay right?"
"Yup, what  pleasant surprise. What are you doing here?"
"Remember the interview, I was telling you about."
"Ah, the interview. How did it go"
"It was tricky..."
"Have you had lunch already?"
"Not yet"
"Any plans"
"Well, actually none"
"Great, then why don't you join me"
I tapped her into the cafe, with my 3D badge.
"Welcome to the Google cafe. Hope you don't mind the food here".

Three weeks later Yuki joined Google. And we had a lot of lunches and memorable dinners together. Google way!





0 comments:

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL