Friday, October 17, 2008

The Perfect Wedding (part1)

"This is Priya. 5 '8, smart and pretty, holds an MBA in HR. I am sending her photo now. Tell me if you like her. Leave the rest to me".
"Oh mom!, I really don't have time for all this. How many times do I need to say that I have lot more things to worry about now, apart from stupid girls and marriage proposals. I am disconnecting Skype now, if you don't have anything else to talk about."

"Work!, work and work!. Don't you have anything else in life. Look at you. You are entering your 30s, already graying by each day. Who will marry you when you are bald. I am giving you an ultimatum now. If you don't get married withing this year, I am disowning you. Then don't come back saying Mom, I am sorry. Good night".
And mom disconnected the internet call, and peace returned back to my life.

Hi, I am Ajay, and like every smart, intelligent professional, I hate marriage. Marriage is a long term commitment, a risky investment with no guaranteed returns, and an instant end to all the freedom, adventure and excitement, that being single bestows upon the few lucky ones.

What I hate even more are kids. Those round, tiny, messy lot, always crying and wailing anywhere they go and never failing to embarrass their parents in public. Shucks, I hate them so much.

Like every middle class Indian, my parents wanted me to have a world class education and join a high paying MNC. After completing my bachelors, they wanted me to pursue an MBA, which I recently did. Now, finally they thought I was settled enough to start a family life. My mom, especially, had been pressuring me for a year or so, and I had dodged the topic, many a times now. This last warning seemed a bit more serious. Hmm, Priya, the name sounded ok. Qualifications seemed fine. She was a high achiever, an IIM HR grad, a classical dancer, who also loved playing the guitar, and enjoys to do charity work. Her bio-data was perfect. Soon, the picture attachment reached my inbox. I clicked on the file, and browsed through some of the pictures.
Picture seemed to have been shot by a pro, with the perfect light balance, saturation and color contours. C'mon, with a few photoshop tweaks, all the girls in this world would look like Aishwariya Rai. Anyways, Priya had above average looks.

Mrs Priya Ajay Subramanium, would sound just fine, I thought. I dropped a mail to mom saying I would consider and asked her to find out more.

The next evening, Mom called me with a surprise.
"Priya's Mom and Dad have agreed. The Marriage will be in December. They would wish to see you once before that. Can you make it next week? We can start the preparations immediately".

"What! Mom, when did I agree to all this. All I said was I would think and let you know. And anyways, I have only 4 holidays left this year. Sorry, cannot make it."

"Then how will I ever find a girl for you, If you yourself aren't interested."

"Ok, that's it. I have had enough of this. I have an important deliverable in Nobember, and I just have a couple of months left. How about this. Let us have a deal. You chose whichever girl you want me to marry. No questions asked, no forwarding me resumes, no photographs. I don't care how she looks like, what she does or what her favorite tv shows her. You promise not to bother me with any of this stuff till November end. December, I will take a week off for marriage and get married. Will that make you happy?"

"Deal. This is the happiest day of life. Love you", and mom smiled happily and dropped the call.
I knew I might have to regret this, all my life, but it would at least buy me enough time to concentrate on my work. Moreover, which girl would agree to get married with someone, without talking or meeting him in person. I am good, really good as I smiled to myself.

0 comments:

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL